[cisco-voip] Unity 4.x to 7.x with failover upgrade

Voice Noob voicenoob at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 22:44:55 EST 2009

I am getting ready to do an upgrade from Unity 4.x to 7.x with failover in a
UM setup. I have not done a failover upgrade but I have done several Unity
upgrades in both VM and UM. I will usually  take a DIRT backup of the
customer Unity server, upgrade it in VMware to the version I want to go to.
Do a new DIRT and then restore it to the new server hardware. I have done
this before in a UM setup and it can be done but there are a few exchange
issues you have to deal with. I am not concerned with those and I can work
through them. My question is do I need to upgrade the failover server? Can I
just upgrade the primary and once it is up and working with version 7 do a
fresh install of the secondary server? Do the changes from the primary Unity
server replicate over to the secondary like call manager PUB and SUB? Thanks
for any help.