[cisco-voip] Question about the Dependency service

Tim Reimers treimers at ashevillenc.gov
Wed Jan 7 15:28:29 EST 2009

hi folks-

UCM 6.01

I see that Cisco warns you in the following way when you don't have
Dependency running:

"The Dependency Records feature is disabled.

To enable this feature, please go to the Enterprise Parameters page in
the System menu and set the Enable Dependency Records to True. Enabling
the Dependency Records functionality causes high CPU usage and may
impact call processing. This task may take a long time to complete due
to dial plan size and complexity, CPU speed and the CPU requirements of
other applications. If you are monitoring CPU usage, you may experience
high CPU usage alarms."

Is that a temporary condition of Dependency, such that once the initial
SQL query (I assume) is done internally, things settle down to a more
normal CPU level?

I can find all sorts of discussion on how when you START it there is
high CPU -- which makes sense.

But I don't find any discussion from Cisco on what this Dependency
service might do to your production environment on an ongoing basis.
Except for a comment that "if you are having problems, disable this
first" -- a common caveat that doesn't really go far towards saying what
metrics dependency should cause in a normal environment.

Tim Reimers
Systems Analyst II
Information Technology Services
City of Asheville