[cisco-voip] Power but link not up?

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Tue Jan 13 09:38:33 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Scott Voll <svoll.voip at gmail.com> wrote:
> How do you have PoE leaving your switch with the interface still being down
> down?
>
> I have an IP speaker connected to a 3560.  Sh Power inline shows 15.4 watts
> leaving interface 0/7.
>
> sh inter f0/7 shows down / down.
>
> How do you get that?
>
> I would think I should at least get a up/down.

Having a device drawing power before asserting link is normal - a
device has to draw power from the switch to energize the ethernet
circuitry that turns on the link.  With a working device though it
doesn't stay in that state for very long.  The power outage has
probably damaged your speaker.  If these are Atlas/Berbee IP speakers
I wouldn't be too surprised.  I haven't found them to be very robust.

--
Jeff Ollie

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then
I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve
them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and
unfairness of the universe."

	-- Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5: "A Late Delivery from Avalon"