[cisco-voip] What could cause a "buzzing" rather than call progress tones?

Peter Slow peter.slow at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 02:07:28 EST 2009

Out of curiosity, what's the pitch of the buzzing? High? low? does it
happen to sound like 60hz?
Last time someone I knew had this problem, they had run a telephone
line past/draped over an AC power cable and were hearing a buzzing
noise caused by induction.
How neat is your wiring? =) do you have any cables related to this
call bundled alongside any highly energized wiring like a power cable?
does the buzzing really stop after the call is answered or does it
just become inaudible against background noise?
Just a shot in the dark, I wouldn't think this kind of thing could
possibly affect a digital circuit, but perhaps its affecting a piece
of hardware... or perhaps the wiring is near the handset/headset?

What is the actual device the buzzing noise is heard/observed on?
If no alerting tone is heard at all, the device responsible for
playing it is likely to be at fault.
Obtaining CCM traces as Ryan was mentioning will help you figure out
what device that it.

-Peter