[cisco-voip] CCIE Voice or CCIE R&S

Nikola Stojsin nikolastojsin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 10:27:49 EST 2009

Syed -

I think it really depends on where your work focus is going to be. I am an
R&S CCIE, and plan to add Security to it shortly (before April changes, I
hope). I had a similar dilemma: whether to go for Security or Voice after
R&S. In the end, although I do a fair amount of voice, most of my work is in
R&S and Security, so I opted to pursue CCIE Security. That was where the
work was taking me - and it was also more straightforward (R&S and Security
IMHO have the most overlap).

You are right - R&S has the most resources, by far. On the other hand, if
you are already on your way towards getting a CCVP, CCIE Voice should not be
that difficult (I always felt that difference between CCVP and CCIE Voice
was significantly smaller than, say, between CCNP and CCIE R&S.)

Hope this helps - my suggeston would be to pick a track that is firstly,
most work-related, and, secondly, requires least effort (those two should be
related :) ).

Advice-wise, I have but one, for lab, any CCIE lab: practice for speed.
Seriously. Eight hours is barely enough time for the amount of configuring
(and typing) you have to do. If one needs three hours to do, say, BGP setup,
one is in trouble; one hour is much better!

Hope this helps -
Nikola

Nikola Stojsin
PhD CCIE #12888