[cisco-voip] Cisco 7960 woes

Joe Mays jfmays at launchpad.win.net
Tue Jul 14 21:50:31 EDT 2009

Okay, trying to set up some Cisco 7960 phones to work together. I put
one (phone A) behind a firewall router doing NAT and had an internal
address assigned. It came up fine, but I was getting one way audio
with another phone. That turned out to be because the other phone
(phone B) was responding to phone A's internal address rather than
than the external address of the firewall.

Okay, simple solution. I applied a real address block to the inside of
the firewall, turned off NAT (and all firewalling, actually) and let
it assign a publically addressable IP to the phone. Now the phone
comes up, gets it's ip, but fails to contact the tftp server to
download its config. I can't see why this would be happening, when it
was able to contact the tftp server before. Clues?

Better still, a straightforward description of everything that should
be set up on the server and the phone and what the xml file donwloaded
in tftp should contain would be a huge help.

--
"Television? The word is half Greek and half Latin. No good will come
of it."