[cisco-voip] 7912 problem with Firewall Between them and Call Manager

Ryan Ratliff rratliff at cisco.com
Wed Jul 15 10:03:39 EDT 2009

There are no phone settings to control if/when data gets fragmented.
There are some settings in CUCM that can cause the server to bundle
messages going to phones but that would probably result in bigger
packet sizes (and thus more fragmentation).  The setting is "Remote
Device" on the phone page.

--- From the help for Remote Device ---
If you are experiencing delayed connect times over SCCP pipes to
remote sites, check the Remote Device check box in the Phone
Configuration window. Checking this check box tells Cisco Unified
Communications Manager to allocate a buffer for the phone device when
it registers and to bundle SCCP messages to the phone.

Tip : Because this feature consumes resources, be sure to check this
check box only when you are experiencing signaling delays for phones
that are running SCCP. Most users do not require this option.

Cisco Unified Communications Manager sends the bundled messages to
the phone when the station buffer is full, as soon as it receives a
media-related message, or when the Bundle Outbound SCCP Messages
timer expires.

To specify a setting other than the default setting (100 msec) for
the Bundle Outbound SCCP Messages timer, configure a new value in the
Service Parameters Configuration window for the Cisco CallManager
service. Although 100 msec specifies the recommended setting, you may
enter 15 msec to 500 msec.

The phone must support SCCP version 9 to use this option. The
following phones do not support SCCP message optimization: Cisco
Unified IP Phone 7935/7936. This feature may require a phone reset
after update. Refer to the Synchronizing a Phone topic.

In the end if your firewall is dropping packets it should be fixed.

-Ryan