[cisco-voip] Ringtones

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Thu Jul 30 13:30:40 EDT 2009

Yes, it is possible but not very robust. You can use the SDK to push
keypresses to the phone.  You could push the exact sequence of
keypresses to set the background.  The challenge is the phones do not
provide any confirmation of current state.  For example you can send
'Init:settings' to the phone to activate the settings pane.  however a
call may immediately ring to that phone clearing the settings pane.
When you then send '1' for User Preferences you send the digit '1' as
dtmf to the active call rather than selecting settings menu item 1.

You can send it a couple times and the law of averages will be in your
favor.  However, it's still not reliable and provides no feedback.

/Wes