[cisco-voip] Meet-Me Conference from non sccp device

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Thu Jun 11 11:04:01 EDT 2009

Scott,

Disclaimer: This is my personal opinion and is not indicative of company
position. It comes with no warranty or obligation.

I'm probably more of a conspiracy theorist than the next guy.  But I see
no such security implication or interpretation by anyone.  What I have
observed is that this is a very unique supplementary service.  To that
end there is not standard provision in most protocols for such a
feature.  Could it be hacked up some way? Possibly.  But who really
wants to use an archane interface that requires memorizing arbitrary
DTMF sequences?  No, there should be better ways.  And there are -
meetingplace and webex.  These offer sufficient features to justify a
little complexity at initialization.  I cannot count the number of
meetings where I have muted participants for wind noise, background
chatter, darth-vader-heavy-breathers, crying-babies-in-the-background,
and even the occasional smacking or slurping of meals.  These are all
part of life but sharing them with all meeting participants certainly
detracts from the meeting itself.  This is all my personal opinion.

On the other hand if several organizations made sufficient business case
I bet product marketing would entertain a discussion.

/Wes