[cisco-voip] DTMF Tone problem?

Nick Matthews matthnick at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 15:02:15 EDT 2009

There are two prominent duplicate DTMF bugs:

CSCsv04751
Your phone creates in band and out of band DTMF due to some sidetone
problems.  This is on phones running 8.4.1 and 8.4.1 SR1 on third
generation phones (79x1,79x2, etc).  This is when you're dialing out
of an IP system and getting problems.

You can recreate this by doing this:  use the handset, dial the number
out, connect, and then press the DTMF digits for a lot longer than you
would normally.  You'll get duplicate DTMF.

CSCso87127
This is the gateway not stripping all of the in-band DTMF out of the
stream and creating an out of band DTMF.  The remaining DTMF is still
in the line and causes duplicate DTMF.  This is when calls are coming
in via analog and going towards IP with a out of band DTMF method.
This is in 12.4(15)T before 12.4(15)T8, as well as some of the latest
mainline images.

If you have MISSING digits, you're probably not hitting one of these
two.  I like to call the tac hotline (1 800 553 2447) and press option
2.  Then use 1234567890# and let the IVR repeat the digits back.

-nick