[cisco-voip] Multicast MoH Delay

Tony Underwood tony at cambiumdata.com
Wed Jun 24 21:42:42 EDT 2009

I'm the furthest thing from a Multicast expert, but to my knowledge the static join is joining only the router interface to the multicast stream and it forwards the packets continuously.  But, when the packets get to the L2 switch, it doesn't have an active IGMP join in it's table so it doesn't forward the traffic out any ports.  Then when the phone joins the group it is instantly available at the access layer due to the static join.
So, if anything this tells you that your delay is between the L3 devices and not at the access layer.

Tony Underwood CCIE #7112
Sr. Network Engineer
Cambium Data Inc.
5050 So. 111th St.