[cisco-voip] Deploying 7961 Phones Remotely with ASA5500?

Jason Burns burns.jason at gmail.com
Thu May 7 10:47:36 EDT 2009

Ryan,

Even though the IP Phone would be embedding it's own private IP address
inside of SCCP ORCAck messages, the ASA Phone Proxy feature would know the
message was really sourced from the public IP. The Phone Proxy would handle
that, so that the Linksys doesn't have to worry about SCCP fixup.

One important caveat is that with PAT, not al homel routers support a TFTP
Client connection like the phone tries to do to the ASA Phone Proxy.

TFTP is destined to UDP port 69 for the initial Read Request, then a new
connection on an ephemeral port is negotiated, and not all home routers know
to look for this to open the new UDP Port.

If you run into TFTP problems you will have to configure the IP Phone's IP
to be in the DMZ so that all ports get forwarded to the IP Phone.

So, the short answer is that just about any home router should work with the
ASA Phone Proxy. Provided you're on the very latest ASA code (as PhoneProxy
is still a very new product).