[cisco-voip] SRST and standby SUB?

Ryan Ratliff rratliff at cisco.com
Mon May 11 14:41:17 EDT 2009

SCCP and its keepalives are layer 7.  Geometric TCP is all layer 3
and determines how fast the TCP session itself gets timed out due to
lack of TCP acknowledgments.   The only time you'll see a phone reset
due to missing sccp keepalives is if the network stack on the CUCM
server is sending TCP Acks but the CCM process is out to lunch and
not sending the sccp keepalive acks.  99% of the time whatever causes
CCM to out to lunch also prevents the server from sending TCP Acks so
you'll see the phone break the TCP session long before the sccp
keepalive timeout happens.

-Ryan