[cisco-voip] Upgrading CCM 4.x to CM Express?

Bill Talley btalley at gmail.com
Fri May 15 14:01:54 EDT 2009

First question would be, what kind of maintenance did they buy on their
existing system?  Do they have SASU or UCSS?  If so, the costs to upgrade
the software would mostly be eliminated and considerations would primarily
be potential hardware upgrades and labor.

Additionally, what kind of feature requirements do they have?

How many call manager servers do they have now (i.e. redundant servers)?
How do they use Unity from a call handling/routing perspective (unity can
use call handlers, CUE will use scripts)?   Do they use call routing rules
in Unity?  Again, I think functionality is provided through scripting in CUE
unless call input, routing rules are included in CUE now on mailboxes.

What are their conferencing requirements?  Unless I'm mistaken, UCME
supports 3 conference participants unless sufficient DSPs are available to
support more and depending on what kind of PSTN access they have (T1 or
multiple T1s) they may not have enough DSPs on the router to do enhanced
conferecing.

UCME will require a larger router to support 70 phones on UCME, so expect to
replace the 2801 if you go that route.

That's just a few things that come to mind.