[cisco-voip] Fax Machines having a very delayed response

STEVEN CASPER SCASPER at mtb.com
Tue May 19 14:09:04 EDT 2009

You still can not use SG3 through a gateway though, right?

By the way thanks for your various fax posts, they have been very useful

Steve

Please consider the impact on our environment before printing this e-mail.

>>> Nick Matthews <matthnick at gmail.com> 5/18/2009 8:46 PM >>>
It's possible that the SG3 to G3 conversion that is on by default in
12.4(20)T and later is blocking the high speed fax tones in the
beginning and it takes a while for the low speed to come through.

To play devil's advocate on the MGCP vs SCCP debate, MGCP is actually
more feature rich when it comes to fax machines.  And since your fax
machines aren't going to be doing hold/resume and group pickup, it's
rather irrelevant.  Possibly more administrative overhead, but MGCP is
probably a better fit for fax machines, although H323 is probably even
better.

To disable the SG3 conversion:
no mgcp fax-relay sg3-to-g3
no mgcp fax-relay ans-disable

Worth a shot anyways.

There were a some MGCP T38 bugs in 12.4(15)T8 and 12.4(22)T1 you may
want to watch out for also.

-nick

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 8:38 PM, Erick Bergquist <erickbee at gmail.com> wrote:
> What do you mean by "delayed" response?
>
> Do you have the FAX machine Error Correction Mode turned off, and
> reduced the FAX machine speed to 14400 or 9600?
>
> Are both gateways (VG224 where FAX machine is) and the PSTN gateway
> set for same FAX method (passthrough or relay).
>
> Is the PSTN Gateway that the calls leave on also MGCP?
> Can you FAX internally between 2 FAX machiines on the VG224 fine?

This email may contain privileged and/or confidential information that is intended solely for the use of the addressee.  If you are not the intended recipient or entity, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of the information contained in the transmission.  If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.  This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.  You may not directly or indirectly reuse or disclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.
There are risks associated with the use of electronic transmission.  The sender of this information does not control the method of transmittal or service providers and assumes no duty or obligation for the security, receipt, or third party interception of this transmission.