[cisco-voip] Crosstalk?

Chris Ward (chrward) chrward at cisco.com
Fri May 29 09:24:25 EDT 2009

Hi Jason,

Are all parties able to hear each other? If this is the case, then there
would have to be some type of conference bridge being invoked which TAC
could find in the traces (barring any DSP malfunction as previously
mentioned).

We have also seen issues with phones getting into a state where it
actually sends two RTP streams (one from the current call and one left
over from a previous call) which can result in a "cross-talk" type
symptom. The main thing to look for in this scenario is that all parties
would not have two-way audio with one another. Two of the parties would
have two-way audio but the third may only be able to be heard and may
not receive audio from the other two. So please check with the users to
see how audio was heard and perceived.

If it's the second issue, then we would need to find the device that is
accepting audio from the secondary source. Our phones have protections
to only accept audio from the other device it was setup to talk to so it
is unlikely a phone is receiving the secondary stream. But I would start
with the above problem description checks and see what is occurring.
Troubleshooting can start from there.

-Chris