[cisco-voip] e.164 numbering in AD with ldap synchronisation and extension mobility

MILLS, Mark mark.mills at baesystems.com
Tue Nov 3 15:55:39 EST 2009

Hi All,

I was wondering what other people do when using Extension Mobility with
AD integration and E.164 numbering in AD.

I am trying to work out the best way to make it easy for users to login
to their phones with minimum confusion and difficulty.

Historically we have had the telephoneNumber field in AD set to their
DN, synced CCM to AD using the telephoneNumber field as the CCM userid
and they simply login to extension mobility with their DN and their PIN.

This gets messy for end users when using E.164 numbers in AD because of
the + sign... many of our users do not understand the formatting and get
confused.  I do not really like the idea of using the AD username as
login due to having to then use alphanumeric logins for extension
mobility.

What do other people do in this situation?  Is there a way to use a
custom attribute in AD's LDAP schema for the CCM userID sync, so we can
use the DN for their CCM login, but in AD still show the E.164 number
for the users telephone number.

Cheers,

    Mark

"Warning:
The information contained in this email and any attached files is
confidential to BAE Systems Australia. If you are not the intended
recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this email or any
attachments is expressly prohibited.  If you have received this email
in error, please notify us immediately. VIRUS: Every care has been
taken to ensure this email and its attachments are virus free,
however, any loss or damage incurred in using this email is not the
sender's responsibility.  It is your responsibility to ensure virus
checks are completed before installing any data sent in this email to
your computer."