[cisco-voip] SIP as a gateway Protocol

Nick Matthews matthnick at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 22:46:39 EST 2009

You can get an over-the-top SIP provider, but if you get voice quality
problems you'll have some trouble getting your ISP and SIP provider to
play nicely.  Once it leaves your gateway you can't prove who may be
causing the problem if there is jitter or packet loss.  Your ISP
probably won't have any idea how to deal with it, because for
traditional data these types of packet problems do not have much
consequence.

If you're cool with that, there are hundreds of providers of varying quality.

The suggestion is still to go with the data line from the SIP
provider.  You may be able to save some money on equipment
consolidation or pricing depending on your volume / area as well.
It's not the best scenario for every case, but there are certainly
cases where it makes since and these cases are growing.

-nick