[cisco-voip] Cisco VOIP and fire alarm phone lines

Nick Matthews matthnick at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 15:58:43 EST 2009

The three most common problems with fire alarms are this:

1) DTMF.  A few of the signaling methods use very precise and rapid
DTMF to communicate.  This rapid method requires timing between the
digits and for the length of the DTMF must be preserved.  This means
you can't use DTMF relay.  This means you need to use SIP or H323 with
no dtmf-relay configured.  MGCP/SCCP does not have the option to
disable dtmf-relay, and they're generally the protocol in use when
these problems arise.

2.  Modems.  Some of them do modem communication to communicate, and
you need to treat them like fax ports, and make sure modem passthrough
is configured correctly.

3.  Voltage problems.  A lot of these devices were designed a long
time ago when the average voltage supplied by an FXS port was much
higher.  Voltage has been reduced around the board, especially with
VOIP devices that are on the FXS side.  The VIC3-FXS has some
sub-models that allow for higher voltage and interop with older
devices.  As well, there are 3rd party devices (like Viking I believe)
that offer some voltage assistance on these devices.

-nick