[cisco-voip] Cisco second generation ISRs

Syed Khalid Ali syed.khalid.khursheed at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 00:36:56 EDT 2009

The net effect will be no more different IOS images for different feature
sets. Just a single unified image with licensing key identifying the feature
set. This will be similar to ASA and other box licensing as pointed by
Dough.

But i think Dynamips will loose popularity, if new platforms are supported,
since individual would require licenses and there would be some criteria on
which Cisco will be generating those licensing keys. For example: ASA/PIX
requires serial numbers, CCM requires server MAC address.

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 8:30 PM, Doug McIntyre <merlyn at geeks.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 08:41:21AM -0400, Peter Pauly wrote:
> > I wonder what effect the signed IOS code will have on the used equipment
> market?
> >
> > It's a neat idea having all of the features in one single IOS images,
> > but I don't like the idea of having to get keys from Cisco.
>

> It'd be much like existing gear that is licensed this way already,
> you'd have a mix bag of resellers, from the low-end that has no clue
> what they have, and they sell a black box where you may luck out and
> get a desirable license code already there, or just the basic license.
> To more knowledgable resellers that would list what bits are licensed
> in the box that they are selling, as well as the physical hardware specs.
>
> Cisco has been doing HW licensing for other lines already, some stretching
> back for some time. Ie. PIX firewalls have a Restricted or Unlimited
> license.
> The fiber channel switches have more ports and additional features enabled
> via license strings (the samples look very close to what the MDS line has).
> I thought that one of the Catalyst lines used the same IOS image for all,
> but was Advanced or basic depending on a license code in it somewhere.
>
> Even going way way back in time, when the 2501's were king and
> everywhere, and when more than IP networking existed. What the 2501
> was licensed for (no restrictions, but it was labelled on the outside),
> was an important part of gear resale listings. Ie. if you needed SPX
> or Appletalk, you'd look out for the 2501's that were C or D depending
> on what license you need.

Thanks,
Syed Khalid Ali