[cisco-voip] Microsoft OCS versus CUCM

Matt Slaga (US) Matt.Slaga at us.didata.com
Tue Oct 20 08:39:42 EDT 2009

We have both Cisco and Microsoft deployed both internally and for many of our customers.

The client is the biggest difference between the two.  When we pilot both CUPC and MOC, it is close to 9 out of 10 want MOC over CUPC.  No disrespect for CUPC, but it is a version 2 product whereas Microsoft is on version 13.  It just has more of the bells and whistles that end users are looking for and much deeper integration into office and sharepoint.

As far as voice, most of our customers prefer to keep UCM as the call control engine so they can utilize QoS and CAC for only one vendor in the network (makes sense!).  They will use RCC or CUCIMOC to achieve this and keep the MOC client.

For some highly mobile users, we have found Microsoft Enterprise Voice works well.  Most of these are remote users connecting over the internet so CAC and QoS is limited anyways.

I think the key piece for Microsoft that will entice more and more buyers is the dial-in conferencing.  Having this as part of the OCS system was a very strong move from Microsoft.  I've got a list of customers that want to turn this on just so they can drop their current third party vendors and do it all in-house.  Makes a strong ROI, especially for customers that have already purchased ECALs for OCS.

If you want more info, unicast me.

Thanks!
Matt