[cisco-voip] is all traffic endpoint initiated?

Bill Simon bills at psu.edu
Sat Oct 24 11:02:52 EDT 2009

Lelio,

> I'm not sure how I can do that on a dead network, since the install
> process goes out and does DNS tests and NTP tests etc. Plus I need to
> access my DMA upgrade file too, right?

We had the same issue and built an isolated network (spanning two
buildings! ugh) with its own DNS and NTP server.  The DMA was put on
that DNS server and then CUCM pointed to it as an SFTP source.  Test
network used the same subnets as production so that we could then drop
it all into place after the build-out was complete.

> I guess I could skip enabling DNS, NTP, etc, until just before step 5
> once I put the publisher on a live network, and perform steps 1 thru 4
> on an isolated VLAN with SFTP access to my DMA file?
>
> What do you think?

I know you're not asking me, but I think  you should build out the
above-described network from the start.  It worked well for us but tied
up some switches and infrastructure so that our inventory people hounded
us for a while to return the parts.

Bill