[cisco-voip] dtmf from cucm to 2821 cube to sip trunk

Nick Matthews matthnick at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 20:49:12 EDT 2009

So you have a H323-SIP CUBE, and your DTMF isn't working.  This is
probably the most common problem with CUBE users.

For this #1 problem, the number one cause is 'incoming called-number .'

Most people don't really understand inbound dial peer matching, and
have used this for ages on normal TDM gateways that were
single-protocol.  The best way to fix this is to read the 'Understand
Incoming and Outgoing Dial-Peers" document on Cisco.com, and figuring
out the best way to match dial peers for both your incoming/outgoing
SIP/H323 legs.  You can prefix digits and match on incoming called
number, or ditch incoming called-numbers completely and use
answer-address.

I like using 'debug voip ccapi inout' to determine this.  You can do a
search for peer= after you've got the debug to find out which dial
peers you're hitting for each case, plus what the numbers look like
after translations, etc.  'debug voip dialpeer' is an alternative, but
I personally find it more confusing.

For h323-SIP your dial peers should look something like this:

incoming h323 dial peer for outgoing call:  dtmf-relay h245-alpha or h245-signal
outgoing sip dial peer for outgoing call: dtmf-relay rtp-nte
digit-drop (plus any payload commands required)
incoming sip dial peer for incoming call: same as sip option above
outgoing h323 dial peer for incoming call: same as h323 option above

My best guess is that if you look at your incoming/outgoing dial peers
something isn't matched correctly.

-nick