[cisco-voip] Cisco IOS Enhanced Software Media Termination Point, DTMF and SIP

Ryan Ratliff rratliff at cisco.com
Wed Sep 9 17:31:40 EDT 2009

Why require the MTP at all?  You can configure more than 1 dtmf type
on the dial-peer going to CUCM.  Add rtp-nte to the dtmf payload types
(in addition to h245-alpha) and you shouldn't need an MTP at all.
Since you mentioned h245-alpha I assume your gateway is H.323.

The CUCM software MTP can also convert from oob to 2833 DTMF so it may
be using that one as well.  The only difference in the IOS one is the
codec support.  If CUCM really isn't invoking an MTP then it's because
the gateway and Asterix have matching dtmf capabilities.

One thing you'll want to check is the payloadType for the 2833 DTMF.
IOS gateways don't support dynamic payload types currently and I think
use 101 by default.  If Asterix is using something else you'll want to
change it on the dial-peer with the command 'rtp payload-type nte
<97-127>' where the number matches whatever Asterix is using.  It may
be that both sides think they can do 2833 but the gateway is sending a
payloadType Asterix isn't looking for.

-Ryan