[cisco-voip] Cisco IOS Enhanced Software Media Termination Point, DTMF and SIP

Nick Matthews matthnick at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 22:34:51 EDT 2009

This would be my opinion:

-Configure CUCM to do rtp-nte to Asterisk
-Look at the SDP coming for Asterisk to check the payload type they're
using for DTMF
-Configure the outgoing dial peer from your PRI gateway to cucm as
'h245-alpha rtp-nte'
-Use 'rtp payload-type nte <x>' as needed from the SDP from Asterisk

This should remove the need for the MTP altogether, which is a good
design choice.  The reason the SRND states that RFC 2833 isn't
supported is because CUCM will only allow RFC 2833 if at least one leg
of the call is SIP (I have no explanation for this, minus some
targeted speculation).  In this case you have a SIP trunk so you're
fine.  You would only have problems H323-H323 and you were only doing
RFC 2833.  But, with 'h245-alpha rtp-nte', you will still prefer
h245-alpha and you don't have this problem.

A quick way to check if MTP is being invoked is 'show voip rtp
connections'.  Check if you see the IP of your Asterisk or not.

-nick