[cisco-voip] Cisco IOS Enhanced Software Media Termination Point, DTMF and SIP

Ryan Ratliff rratliff at cisco.com
Fri Sep 11 11:26:50 EDT 2009

Can you send the full SIP invite from Asterix?

-Ryan

On Sep 11, 2009, at 11:08 AM, Keith Klevenski wrote:

Nick,

'wait for far-end H245 TCS' is checked and I see CM receiving the TCS
from the gateway first in the traces.

I receive the following from Asterisk when it responds to CM's INVITE
with its 200 OK ack:

v=0
o=root 9674 9674 IN IP4 10.1.100.254
s=session
c=IN IP4 10.1.100.254
t=0 0
m=audio 17200 RTP/AVP 18 0 8 101
a=rtpmap:18 G729/8000
a=fmtp:18 annexb=no
a=rtpmap:0 PCMU/8000
a=rtpmap:8 PCMA/8000
a=rtpmap:101 telephone-event/8000
a=fmtp:101 0-16
a=silenceSupp:off - - - -
a=ptime:20
a=sendrecv

But when CM ACKs back I only see this:

v=0
o=CiscoSystemsCCM-SIP 2000 1 IN IP4 10.1.101.11
s=SIP Call
c=IN IP4 10.1.101.2
t=0 0
m=audio 18866 RTP/AVP 18
a=rtpmap:18 G729/8000
a=ptime:20
a=fmtp:18 annexb=no

I see nothing about 2833 from CM.

It seems like the issue is CM is not negotiating 2833 with Asterisk or
the h323 gateway for some reason.  I see it advertised in the TCS from
the gateway to CM, but nothing back from CM and the same with Asterisk.

Everything looks like it should as far as I can tell, but it just
isn't happening.  I'm guessing g729 has something to do with it so
I've gone back to g711 to Asterisk and a transcoder and everything
works.  If the transcoder doesn't release a session like it was doing
before I'll just troubleshoot that instead.  I thought it would be
nice and clean to run one codec and avoid transcoders if possible, but
I'm at a loss trying to get it to work.

Although I'd love to get it to work with only g729 and get rid of the
transocder I just don't know what to do at this point.  Since its g729
I guess I need a transcoder anyway to use as an MTP for 2833, but I've
tried that and when I do all calls fail.  May as well just transcode
to g711 anyway.

Regardless, I appreciate you and Ryan's help because I've learned a
lot in the process.  We you have to really dig into something that you
don't deal with regularly it is always an opportunity to learn and I
have.

Thank you.

-keith