[cisco-voip] Getting started in SIP...

Nick Matthews matthnick at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 20:11:50 EDT 2010

A few notes:

There are three ways to get a SIP trunk:
-The MPLS/T1/WAN carrier is also your SIP provider
-Using MPLS or QoS WAN to get to your SIP provider (different carriers)
-Using whatever you can run IP over to get to your SIP provider

The first is the optimal solution.  It is probably also the most
costly.  With the cost comes the guarantee that any quality problems
boil down to one person to blame.
The second is pretty good, and should work fine.  Your IP provider may
blame the SIP provider, but at the end of the day your IP provider has
QoS they have promised you.
The third is likely going over a cable modem/DSL at a small site, or
if you currently have a data circuit with no voice QoS.

IMO, the first and second are what you're looking for if you have
anything other than a small site.  If you have a small site, the third
can be very cost compelling and quality is compromised.

If you just want to see it, you can go out to any of the hundreds of
SIP carriers online and sign up for an account.  They will give you a
username/password/DID combination most likely.  You may be able to use
IP based authentication as well.  You can then run this SIP trunk over
any data line you wish.

It's usually a cost driven thing.  Most sites have entirely too many
analog/T1 lines for their size, that exist only in a worst case
scenario.  With SIP you can centralize those, and between allowing a
burstable amount of traffic over the SIP trunk, and centralizing
multiple time zones with different peaks, you can reduce your overall
trunk capacity pretty significantly.  It can also be quite a bit more
flexible because we're talking MPLS and Ethernet rather than T1
cables.

-nick