[cisco-voip] what is: "cablelength long 0db"

Nikola Stojsin nikolas at networkmakers.com
Mon Aug 23 18:21:37 EDT 2010

Hello Lelio:

If I remember correctly, SPServices adds SSH/SSL, ATM, VoATM, and MPLS to IP Voice (which itself adds voice to the data-only IP Base) etc.

This white paper might be useful (especially ‘Cisco Image Packaging section’, somewhere in the middle):

http://www.cisco.com/web/about/security/intelligence/ios-ref.html

As for the cablelength long 0db, that command does two things: (1) compensates for the reception loss due to the cable length by increasing the pulse of a signal at the receiver (26dB is the default), and (2) tries to controls far-end crosstalk (in other words, by attenuating the signal from the transmitter - 0dB here – it tries to keep sending and receiving signal within 7.5dB of each other). To quote Cisco:  “Line build-out attenuates the stronger signal from the customer installation transmitter so that the transmitting and receiving signals have similar amplitudes. A signal difference of less than 7.5 dB is ideal.” In other words, you are amplifying what you receive and reducing what you send in an attempt to reduce the difference in sending and receiving signal levels below 7.5dB, all in order to prevent crosstalk. Etc. Etc.

If you do a quick sh controller t1 0/0/0 and see the following line: “Cablelength is long gain26 0db”, that means pulse increase of 26dB of what the interface receives and 0db attenuation (no attenuation) of what the interface sends. Your mileage may vary here, but I have yet to see this command being needed at the normal PRI cable lengths; conversely, it can be a lifesaver if the cable is long (or – more commonly! – provider signal is challenged).

HTH,

Nikola

Nikola Stojsin

PhD CCIE #12888