[cisco-voip] Echo Cancellation and 7911 Phone Loads

Jeff Ruttman ruttmanj at carewisc.org
Tue Aug 31 15:41:27 EDT 2010

Thanks Wes.

Well I've expanded echo cancellation on the gateway.  (PRI with MGCP,
CCM6.1)  So your first paragraph is saying that most likely echo is
generated too "far away" (too much delay) from my GW to cancel the tail
end echo coming into our system--even with my expanded echo cancellation
in place.  So only the telco might have a chance of cancelling that echo
"closer to" the echo source.

As I understand it, I might also change phone loads (hence my question
about 7911s).  And I might try some gain/attenuation settings on the GW
as well--or so I've read.

So in a VOIP system that has echo, I can:

1. Bug the telco
2. Expand echo cancellation on the GW
3. Attenuation/gain statements on GW
4. Change phone load

At least so far that's all I've found I can tinker with.  Is that about
it?

Anyone use attenuation or gain statements on their GWs?  I know the
statements, but I don't know what their function really is, whether I
would use one or the other or both, or what I would set them to.

Thanks
jeff