[cisco-voip] IBM 7816-I4 782x-I4 Filesystem errors

Ryan West rwest at zyedge.com
Wed Dec 1 09:02:53 EST 2010

Lots of file system errors were detected, SNMPD was toast, parts of JVM were corrupt and the process that runs after disc syncing also became corrupt.  The file system would re-enter read-only mode after 6 hours (enough time to resync the disks).   Attempted an upgrade to 8.0.3aSU1, only to have it fail near the end.  My next option was to re-install, but it appears the installer does not have a way to interrupt the Out of Sync status the controllers go into after the read-only event.  Sending over a blank Hardware Configuration Error screen and having TAC not understand it either did not instill great confidence with the customer or myself.  Had a new server shipped out (mandated by the customer), upgraded the firmware on that 7828-I4, started the install and viola, found the same ominous Hardware Configuration Error with no information in it.

All in all, I was able to recover the system to very recent copy.  Even with the file system corruption, DRS was able to run without errors and the restore has been running solid for the last week.  Latest bug updates are covered here:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCti52867

I've heard shipment was halted on these boxes, but if you've installed a CUP or CMBE server in the last 6 months, I would suggest patching ASAP.  The disc exerciser takes about 45 mins to run.  The firmware upgrade takes about 5 mins.

-ryan