[cisco-voip] MeetingPlace Express to "big" MeetingPlace Upgrade

Eric Butcher Eric.Butcher at cdw.com
Tue Dec 14 20:48:14 EST 2010

Meetingplace 7 requires the "hardware media server".

Meetingplace 8 requires WebEx for web conferencing support.  Type 1 integration uses meetingplace based scheduling and meeting management and uses the webex site as a "slave".  Type 2 integration uses webex based scheduling, and can optionally authenticate users to MP (for Single Sign On support) and uses MP8 reservationless meetings as an audio bridge for the webex meetings.  Type 2 requires fewer on-prem servers but has more caveats.  Type 1 will give you functionality more in line with what you're used to with MPX.

Your 7825's don't support any of the meetingplace 8.x products.  Not even the web scheduling servers (for type 1).  For a webex type 2 integration (which is has some caveats you'll need to dig into) you can get by with 1 or 2 of the 7835's.  Software media server and application server run co-res on a single 7835 and optional webex node run on the 2nd.  Type 1 requires at least 2 servers, recommended 3 and optionally 4.  That is a express media server, at least an internal web scheduling server, recommended DMZ-based external web scheduling server and the optional webex node.  You can also use the hardware media server for either of these integration which gives you added features such as "brady bunch" style video conferencing, etc.

Meetingplace is leaps and bounds more complicated right now than it used to be.  If you absolutely have to migrate from MPX, I suggest you at work closely with a cisco partner or Cisco SA to get a good bill of materials.

Also suggest you very thoroughly dig through the docwiki.cisco.com page on Meetingplace.

The common reasons I see people migrating from MPX to MP 8 + Webex (which is what MP 8 uses for web conferencing) is either the worry over impending end of support, issues with Adobe flash (you cannot upgrade the flash on MPX 2.1.1.2 and it has known security vulnderabilities), or need for support for MS Office 2010 (outlook scheduling plugin.  Meetingplace 8 plugin will support it "soon" and the webex plugin supports it now).

Hope this is a good starting point for you.  Best of luck!

Eric Butcher
Cisco Unified Communications Engineer
CDW Professional Services
11711 N Meridian, Ste 225