[cisco-voip] Newb Question about conferencing?

Ryan Ratliff rratliff at cisco.com
Thu Dec 16 10:38:18 EST 2010

IIRC this depends on what your max conference participants parameter is set to.
Conference resources are not dynamic.  When a conference is started it will only happen if there is a resource that can handle the max number of participants for that conference.  In your example I would expect that the second conference gets created on the software CFB rather than on the DSPFarm (assuming 12 party max conference size).

"A conference based on these DSPs allows a maximum of 8 participants. When a conference begins, all 8 positions are reserved at that time. Starting with Cisco IOS Release 12.4(15)T, this limit on the maximum number of participants has been increased to 32. "
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/8x/media.html#wp1046210

A takeaway from this is to always define max-sessions on your DSPFarms in increments of the max number of conferences you allow, to avoid wasting DSPs.

-Ryan