[cisco-voip] CCM Cluster Failover TImes

Chris Ward (chrward) chrward at cisco.com
Fri Dec 17 10:54:13 EST 2010

No 8.5.1 love? J

Failover time for a phone can be very quick if you are you the geometric
TCP failover:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/firmware/8_4_2/engl
ish/release/notes/79x5x2_842.html#wp185934

How fast you ask? VERY fast! J No, seriously, could be less than a
second or two given good network conditions. GWs are a slightly
different story. An MGCP GW will act more like one of the phones in
terms of its style of failover. An H323 or SIP GW however don't keep
active TCP connections up with UCM and UCM doesn't keep active TCP
connections with the GWs, so it's a timeout to pass calls to an
alternate.

Actually, in CUCM 8.5 we add a SIP option called PING which allows CUCM
to stop use of a SIP GW if it stops responding to the PING command. That
way we don't wait for the timeout before proceeding to the next GW.
Either way, the timeout is something you can play with and tune to make
sure you allow for your network's latency and to make sure you aren't
waiting 30 seconds for a call to try the next GW or UCM. H323 vs SIP
will yield different results and within SIP, you can choose TCP or UDP
and that will also affect your failover results. But they are all
customizable.

+Chris

Hosted Collaboration Solution TME