[cisco-voip] MOH Beeping

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Tue Feb 2 18:37:14 EST 2010

Thanks Kevin,

So:
noise is not present recording from USB source to your laptop.
noise is present even in the packets transmitted over the wire to the
phone when USB device is connected to server.

Based on the nature of sound I agree with Mike that it sounds like
electrical interference.  Are the server and rack grounded?  When you
captured "good.au" what source of power and and ground was your laptop
using?

Do you have another analog source such as an iPod or mp3 player that
would use a different, or possibly floating ground, to test with?

You have eliminated most of the devices in the audio path. The only way
to isolate further inside the server is to use a root account to dump
audio directly off the linux DSP device before the IPVMSApp kernel
driver attempts to packetize it for transmission over the network.  If
noise is present in that sample then it is either introduced by
electrical interface between the source and USB device or introduced in
the USB device itself.

/Wes