[cisco-voip] What is wrong with my destination pattern?

Nick Matthews matthnick at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 13:53:49 EST 2010

The T in destination patterns works like this:

if you're dialing digit-by-digit from an FXS port or on speakerphone
from an IP phone, it will check every dial peer each digit.  If it
matches a dial peer, it will send it out.  Meaning, if you have ....
and ..... it will match 4 digits every time.  If you want to be able
to dial digit by digit with overlapping dial plans, your shorter dial
pattern must contain a T.

Most calls are done what's called en-bloc.  This means all the numbers
are sent as once - H323, SIP, "offhook dialing" all meet these
criteria.  In this case you can send a 5 digit number out if you have
the aforementioned 4 and 5 digit destination patterns.  If all of your
numbers are en-bloc, the T will do nothing at all.  9 and 9T are
equivalent in this scenario.

Hope that clarifies.

-nick