[cisco-voip] Transcoding/Conferencing on the same ISDN Gateway

Nick Matthews matthnick at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 20:42:17 EST 2010

FWIW, if you're looking at 5+ CPS you're probably looking at an
AS5X000 box.  Many of the concurrent call numbers that are calculated
for gateways are not done at that high of a call rate (implying short
duration calls).

Regardless, you can run everything you want on the router (VPN, MTP,
Xcoding, full BGP table) as long as the parameters of the equation are
right.  If you scale your gateway the only problem is CPU usage, not
feature overload.  The only addendum to that is that most of these
numbers are calculated individually, so when you mix and match the
calculations aren't quite as accurate.  Which doesn't say much,
because depending on your call patterns you may get different results
from the posted numbers anyways.  Long calls = better for CPU, vad on
= better for CPU, codec selection = doesn't matter.  Most of the
problem you run into is the pure PPS of these streams rather than the
overhead, which is why MTPs and such can get you higher CPU pretty
quickly.  Xcoding and MTP roughly halve the amount of calls you can
make through the box.

hth,
nick