[cisco-voip] Dial plans

Matthew Saskin msaskin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 09:53:10 EST 2010

I think you've stumbled upon a cost savings measure that is OK in the
education space but wouldn't fly under any circumstances in the corporate
world - I can't think of any of my customers with enough DID's to make an
impact on the budget that would actually consider giving them up ;)

As far as scalable dial plans, I'm a big fan of either 10-digit (NANP only)
or country code + DID (E164 without the +) assigned as phone DN's -
guaranteed global uniqueness which assists for shared services such as
voicemail.  For sites without DID's, typically a shortened internal only
number is used and a list is maintained for within the organization.
Site-to-site dialing with a single site or campus can be shortened using
translation patterns to allow for 4/5/6/x digit dialing.  If you intend to
route enterprise calls on-net, dialing the full DID number without an access
code can route across the network, dialing anything with a prefix of 9 (or
8, or whatever...) goes out the PSTN.

Matthew Saskin
msaskin at gmail.com
203-253-9571

July 18, 2010 - 1500m swim (in the hudson), 40k bike, 10k run
Please support the Leukemia & Lyphoma Society
http://pages.teamintraining.org/nyc/nyctri10/msaskin