[cisco-voip] faxing

Matthew Ballard mballard at otis.edu
Mon Feb 15 11:44:59 EST 2010

Personally I would strongly recommend staying away from the ATA-186s for
faxing, they can work, but are more hassle than they are worth,
especially with newer fax machines or if the data connection isn't
completely clean.

>From my experience my preferred setup is:

1)      A centralized fax server with a fax machine able to communicate
through IP to the fax server (but only logical if you are implementing
it generally).

2)      FXS port on a router if one is already installed, or a VG2xx box
if there isn't a router that you can install an FXS port.  Routers/VG2xx
can do T.38, and can automatically force the connection speed down to a
level they are designed to handle.

3)      Worst case scenario use a ATA186, but make sure you disable v.34
on the fax machine

Also, I like using T.38 in MGCP mode if available for remote sites, as
it can better handle latency and jitter than g711.

Matthew Ballard

Network Manager

Otis College of Art and Design

mballard at otis.edu