[cisco-voip] 7937 Packet Loss and intermittent voice quality issues

Ted Nugent tednugent73 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 18:59:27 EST 2010

It appears that simply removing the access vlan from theswithport
configuration (and leaving in the voice vlan command) fixed the issue. I was
able reproduce the problem on demand by simply adding the “switchport access
vlan” command back in the config and bouncing the port on the switch. We
tested its multiple times and that appears to be controlling it. As soon as
I add the command back into the switch and we start a new call, I can watch
the “Rcvr Lost Packets” increment steadily within about 30 seconds or so,
when I remove it we can keep calls up indefinitely without a single packet
drop.
Oddly enough simply adding the access vlan command without the voice vlan
command did not fix the problem, it was only when i left the voice vlan and
removed the access vlan that it worked, sounds like a dot1q or cdp bug to
me. I never got a chance to try disabling cdp and locking in the vlan and ip
but I imagine that would also work. Thanks for everyones input!