[cisco-voip] Conferencing Codecs Across WAN

Rhodium rhodium_uk at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 19 10:39:51 EST 2010

Hi all,

Have a bit of a conundrum that I can't find information on.

If I have two sites, sites A and B and site A has DSP resources for conferencing installed on the router.

Calls within each site are G.711 and to between each other are G.729. Now if two phones in site B make a call to each other (G.711) and then one of them initiates an ad hoc conference to a phone in site A. The DSP in site A will get invoked but my question is, what will be the codecs going from site B to the DSP in site A, will it be G.711 as that was the original codec or will it be G729 because of the region configuration inherited from the device pool?

1 phone -Site A(DSP Farm) <-----> Site B- 2 phones

Thank you,

Jason