[cisco-voip] Plan for Failure

David Zhars dzhars at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 14:13:10 EST 2010

I am trying to create a "what if" scenario, and how we would react.
Obviously, with SmartNet and all that, you can minimize some issues, but if
a CM box were to die (and we only have one), getting a new one could be
quick, but getting it all installed and everything else could be lengthy.

So I am  wondering what you would recommend:

We have an ISDN coming in to a 2801 in H323 mode.  Most calls come in on
this and most go out this line as well.
At a remote site, connected by fiber, we have a 2801 with SRST and two POTS
lines plugged into FXOs.
Now if my CM were to die, could users still go out the ISDN, or does CM
handle that?  Could I route calls in from the ISDN somehow, or again, is
that something CM handles?

I am just trying to plan for the worst and hope for the best!

Thank you for any suggestions (and setting up a Pub/Sub is an option, but
not one in the current budget picture).