[cisco-voip] Fwd: Cisco ATA Fax Confusion

Nick Matthews matthnick at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 00:50:35 EST 2010

To clarify:

fax pass-through:  protocol based pass through.  Supported in SIP/H323.
fax passthrough: nse based passthrough.  Same thing as modem passthrough
fax relay:  a method of turning g711 packets into specific fax
packets.  Options are T38 and Cisco.
Cisco fax relay:  The default method in IOS versions before 15.0, and
uses Cisco NSEs for transport and negotiation.  This is not the
suggested option, as it is legacy.
T38 NSE switchover:  this is cisco proprietary, and is supported with
SCCP, SIP, MGCP, and H323
T38 protocol switchover:  This is standards based and what you will
use with 3rd party devices.  Supported in SIP, H323, and MGCP.
NSE:  A cisco proprietary packet value for RTP (normally 101) that is
used between Cisco devices to signal certain fax events.

modem passthrough: used for both fax and modem passthrough using G711.
 Available in the 4 protocols.  Only thing that ATAs officially
support.  It turns off the echo canceller, and changes the playout
buffer (for jitter).  Cisco proprietary since it uses NSEs.

Faxes can work on G711, but that is if the echo canceller and playout
buffer work for that particular stream and associated fax machines.
It's very likely that high speed faxes (speed > 14.4) will not work on
normal G711.

Faxing is confusing :)

-nick