[cisco-voip] Forwarded Calls drop after 29 secs

Mark Holloway mh at markholloway.com
Sun Jan 24 12:10:53 EST 2010

The issue with 'call drops on forwarded calls' is usually a result of the PBX treating the forwarded portion of the call as a totally separate call leg from the originating call into the PBX and the PBX is not providing a progress indicator to the telco switch for the original call leg until the second call leg is answered.  The telco switch will timeout if it doesn't receive a progress message and drop the call because there has been no acknowledgement to the original call setup.  The reason it may not happen 100% of the time is if the forwarded call to the PSTN is setup or answered fast enough, the PBX will notify the original call leg know the call has been answered or there is ring back.  Depending on the far end carrier your are forwarding calls to, it may work in some instances but not others.  Proper PBX behavior is when calls are forwarded from the PBX to the PSTN, the PBX should provide SIP Diversion or ISDN Progress Indicator on the original call leg so the telco switch does not timeout.  Carriers who are using Sonus, Broadsoft, Metaswitch, often make static changes in their switch to work around this problem, but the PBX is still doing it wrong.