[cisco-voip] Fwd: Cisco ATA Fax Confusion

Nick Matthews matthnick at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 19:17:13 EST 2010

He was commenting on the difference of passthrough and normal G.711
operation.  In theory, you should be able to place fax/modem calls
over G.711 since it's not compressed.  This turns out not to be the
case because the way echo cancellers and the jitter buffers used for
voice don't work perfect for modems/faxes.  It can still be done
however, which is why faxes and modems will work sometimes without
doing any configuration.  Passthrough really just disables the ECAN,
disables DTMF, and modifies the jitter buffer, and it's G.711 under
that.

-nick