[cisco-voip] Need Help on CME Installation

Kim, Hyoun S Hyoun.Kim at chartercom.com
Wed Jan 27 15:55:08 EST 2010

Some of you may remember me.  My employer has put me in charge of
installing Cisco VoIP solutions for various offices around the state.
I've installed 4 of them so far, roughly with 40-50 users at each
office.  I've been getting real comfortable with installing them but all
those offices utilized a PRI.  So configuration of the system was fairly
simple and if all was set up correctly, you could just unplug the PRI
from the old phone system and plug it into the Cisco router and
everything works just fine.

For my next office, things are somewhat different and I'm not sure how
to approach it.  I was told that the next office does not have a PRI.
I'm not 100% fluent in telephony, but their current Nortel system
utilizes 13 POTS lines, 1 BRI, and 4 trunk groups.  There are  15 DID
numbers each trunk group for a total of 60 DID numbers.

For the new router, (which is a C2821), I went ahead and requested 4
VIC2-4FXO cards.  Are these the right cards to get?  I didn't get the
BRI card because I'm going to see if the phone company can convert the
BRI to POTS lines to save some money.  So that should give me a total of
15 POTS lines to plug into my router.

The DID numbers span from 9421 through 9480.  However, on the
information sheet, there are other numbers as well (which I'm assuming
are the actual POTS lines' numbers).  These numbers are all over the
place, such as 1101, 1103, 1119, 2562, 4400, etc.  When I dial them,
they are picked up by the Nortel automated system as if I were dialing
the direct line specified in the DID number range.  So my question is,
when I program the CME/CUE, do I just configure ephone-dn according to
the DID numbers and leave out those other numbers?  I'm just wondering
if the Telco forwards all these "other numbers" to that DID's "direct
line".  I know for the Autoattendent, you just use 1 number.

Is this the right way I should be going about this?

Thanks for any help and sorry for the long e-mail.

________________________________

Hyoun Kim * Network Administrator I - East Division

640 Broadmor Blvd * Suite 80 * Murfreesboro, TN 37129

' 615.217.6245 * ' 859.312.6941 * 7 615.217.6255 * *
Hyoun.Kim at chartercom.com <mailto:Hyoun.Kim at chartercom.com>

E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

The contents of this e-mail message and
any attachments are intended solely for the
addressee(s) and may contain confidential
and/or legally privileged information. If you
are not the intended recipient of this message
or if this message has been addressed to you
in error, please immediately alert the sender
 by reply e-mail and then delete this message
and any attachments. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are notified that
any use, dissemination, distribution, copying,
or storage of this message or any attachment
is strictly prohibited.