[cisco-voip] SIP to Legacy PBX

Norton, Mike mikenorton at pwsd76.ab.ca
Thu Jul 8 14:45:11 EDT 2010

Nope, that PRI card is for data, not voice. You probably want the VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html

As for your question of whether you need more DSP, the answer depends on how much DSP you already have. ;-) Do a "show inventory" if you don't know. Use the DSP Calculator on Cisco's website to figure out your total DSP requirement. (You will need to know what codec(s) you plan to do with your SIP provider.) http://www.cisco.com/web/applicat/dsprecal/index.html

You will also need to license an IOS image that has voice features, if your current image does not. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps8802/ps10587/ps10591/ps10621/product_bulletin_c25-561938.html

If you have any potential need for a hardware upgrade, could use a spare router, etc. then be sure to at least look into buying a whole new router. By the time you put all the necessary additions into an existing router, sometimes there are decent promotions on "voice bundles" that do not cost a whole lot more. If there happens to be a bundle that has the items you need, it might be an attractive option.

--
Mike Norton
I.T. Support