[cisco-voip] OT: AT&T circuit in Florida

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Thu Jul 22 18:04:53 EDT 2010

When I was migrating from one carrier to another (physically different PRIs), I specifically asked for as much technical detail as possible so I could communicate the project to others.

Well, one thing they neglected to tell me (and something I didn't know) is that when they port numbers from one carrier to another, it's done in two steps:

    • first, the numbers are entered in the new carriers switch and broadcast to the other switches so people who call one of the ported numbers are directed to the correct switch
    • second, the switch which had the numbers in the first place has to be told to stop using the local route and using the off-net routing tables to send to the new carrier

Well, here I am telling everyone things are complete and when we go to test (of course, using lines on the local switch) nothing is working.

*sigh*

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
(519) 824-4120 x56354 (519) 767-1060 FAX (JNHN)
Cooking with unix is easy. You just sed it and forget it.
- LFJ (with apologies to Mr. Popeil)