[cisco-voip] IOS Software MTP failure

Mike Lydick mike.lydick at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 10:01:55 EDT 2010

After working with TAC as P2 and loosing about 4000 calls we moved to
Hardware MTP which lowered the call capacity significantly but complete
resolve the MTP bridging errors. TAC did find anything conclusive and has
opened a new bug on the IOS version we were running.

Looking through the callmanager traces we found G711 calls with different
Packetization sizes (20/30). I am thinking this was causing the MTP setup
failures.

We asked TAC about this after the hardware MTP were installed and operating
correctly. One TAC engineer said that the should fail even with Hardware MTP
unless we do some transcoding? We were not seeing this. Some calls would
coming as MTP and other as XCODE even though the Gateway is set for MTP
resources only.

Is it possible that the MTP is transcoding for the packetization mismatch?