[cisco-voip] oddball 6921 problem

Ed Leatherman ealeatherman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 14:20:08 EDT 2010

Anyone else seen this? I only have 1 6921 to test with. Didn't see
this issue with the 6941 unit we have.

It was originally registered with my test server running 7.1.3 - the
phone was running firmware 8.5.3. Now that my production system is up
to 7.1.5, we programmed it to go in a lobby for people to evaluate. So
the production system has 9.0.3 (unsigned) setup as the default load
for this model.

Plug in the phone, and it tries to upgrade - gets the progress bar on
the screen and eventually just locks up.. sometimes it gets to 10%
sometimes to 40%, sometimes doesn't even progress past 0%.

I hooked up wireshark, and i'm seeing the tftp traffic back and forth
from the phone to the server for the .zz file, but every couple
packets it looks like the phone is delaying 3-4 seconds before sending
an acknowledgment for some blocks. Sometimes the server even resends
blocks, I'm assuming because the phone is not responding with a tftp
ack in time. I left it go over night to see if it would eventually
finish, but when I came in this morning it looked like it was just
hung, didnt see any packets on coming in and the phone was still stuck
on the load progress bar at about 10%.

I can grab the same file from the same server using TFTP client on my
PC nigh instantly.

Couldn't find any bugs in the toolkit that looked related, figured i'd
check and see if this was a common issue with anyone since i've only
got 1 unit right now.

--
Ed Leatherman