[cisco-voip] Anyone in the US sending Calling Name with Calling number?

Mark Rudholm mark at rudholm.com
Wed Mar 17 21:59:24 EDT 2010

I was unaware that caller-sent CNAM was delivered anywhere in the
US.  The fact that the terminating CO does the CNAM lookup has
been a convenient way to get reliable reverse-lookup info on any
given number.

For example, my home in California is served by an at&t BRI.
at&t doesn't deliver CNAM at all on BRIs, so when I get an inbound
call, I simultaneously ring the phones in the house and send the
call back out to a CID-equipped POTS line via an ITSP.  When the
call comes back into the house via the POTS line and into an FXO
port, I replace the CID on the ringing phones with the information
from the POTS CID delivery.  So to watch a phone ring in my house,
you'll see just the number for the first few seconds, then you see
the number and the name.

This wouldn't work if CNAM relied on data sent by the call originator.

Does anyone have an example of a LEC or NPA-NXX-X in the US where
CNAM is delivered as sent?  I'm intrigued.

-Mark